Give yourself the extra edge in performing
For enhancing skills and bringing them to a professional level, there’s no better way than private study. All of our master of music in performance students study with Loyola’s artist faculty who perform professionally and have extensive backgrounds.
- The degree is designed for students who wish to teach applied music at an advanced level. Concentration may be elected in voice, organ, harpsichord, piano, church music, or any orchestral instrument.
- 30 hours of coursework to complete degree.
See the Degree Program Course Listing »
For the exceptional singer, Loyola offers the essential vocal training needed to advance into professional and educational settings. Our voice faculty is a diverse body that brings the highest level of professionalism and performing experience. Graduates are well prepared for professional careers in opera, higher education, and other teaching roles.
On campus, performance opportunities abound. The Loyola Chorale, Chamber Singers, and University Chorus perform demanding repertoire and afford chances for solos. Pick up stage experience with the Loyola Opera Theatre or through a paid engagement in a local church. Loyola students also have the opportunity to perform, by audition, secondary roles with the New Orleans Opera Association and other music theater organizations in the New Orleans area.
Vocal Audition Requirements
Singers auditioning for graduate admission should bring three contrasting selections. These pieces should demonstrate the applicant’s readiness to study advanced repertoire. Include an aria from an opera or oratorio performed in the original language; an art song in French, German, or Italian, and an additional song sung in your language of choice. We recommend that each selection be chosen from a different style period. Songs must be performed from memory. For more information, contact Dr. Tyler Smith at email@example.com.
Masterclasses with prominent visiting artists help students get the experts’ perspective. The city’s wealth of professional performing organizations such as the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, offers the perfect environment to hone your musical skills. The highly competitive Concerto-Aria Competition gives students a chance to perform with the Loyola Symphony Orchestra.
Instrumental Audition Requirements
Email Dr. Meg Frazier at firstname.lastname@example.org for instrument-specific audition requirements.
- A completed application for graduate admission
- Undergraduate baccalaureate degree in music
- Official transcripts of all college work attempted (undergraduate, graduate, professional)
- Current résumé, including relevant work experience
- Statement of Educational goals (200-word essay) addressing the questions:
- How do you think a Masters in Music Performance will enhance your academic and/or professional background?
- What expectations do you hope to realize by earning a Masters in Music Performance at Loyola?
- What do you bring to the Masters of Music Performance program?
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Completed successful audition
For International Students:
- Official Test of English as A Foreign Language (TOEFL) Scores from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) is required of all international students. Visa or Affadavit of Support showing sufficient funding to finance their course studies and living expenses is also required.
The Masters of Music Performance Program considers applications on a rolling basis. It is strongly recommended that Masters of Music Performance candidates plan their matriculations to begin in the fall semester due to the structure of the program.
The College of Music and Media administers talent-based music scholarships for graduate students. These awards vary according to the student’s potential for continued musical and academic progress, and the performance needs of the college. Retention of a music scholarship depends on satisfactory musical and academic progress and the student’s fulfillment of performance requirements as stipulated in the scholarship contract. The university's Scholarships + Financial Aid Office is available to help you with FAFSA forms, private loans, grants, and other financial aid opportunities.