Find Your Groove
The Loyola School of Music has one of the oldest jazz programs in the south.
- Famous alumni include Ellis Marsalis, Victor Goines, and Rick Margitza.
- The Jazz Studies curriculum features studies in improvisation, composition, arranging, history, theory, and music industry.
- Students have the opportunity to perform in many award-winning jazz ensembles and combos, coached by faculty who are the finest musicians New Orleans has to offer.
- New Orleans forms a “second classroom” for jazz studies.
- Many Loyola students enhance their skills by gigging with New Orleans masters and their own peers, becoming part of the musical fabric of the city at historic music venues.
Bachelors in Music: Jazz Studies
The degree program features studies in improvisation, composition, arranging, history, theory, and music industry.
Loyola Jazz Bands
The jazz bands offer vocalists and instrumentalists an opportunity to perform music in the popular and jazz idioms along with study of arranging and techniques of improvisation. Both Jazz Band and Jazz Workshop Band are open to all University students by audition. Musicians have the opportunity to perform in both Jazz Ensembles and Combos.
Ensembles available include:
- Jazz Ensemble
- Jazz Workshop Band
- Jazz Training Band
- Jazz Combos
- Traditional Jazz Combo
- Afro-Cuban Ensemble
- Jazz Vocal Ensemble
- Jazz Guitar Ensemble
Loyola University Jazz Faculty are selected from the finest musicians New Orleans has to offer. The faculty is extremely active in the local, national and international jazz venues.
mprovisation, Combos, Saxophone
Piano, Jazz Theory, Jazz Improvisation, Combos
Jazz Bass, Combos, Jazz Workshop Band
Jazz Drumset, Afro-Cuban Ensemble
Guitar, Traditional Jazz Combo, Jazz Guitar Ensemble
Dr. Nick Volz
Jazz Training Band
Saxophone, Jazz Training Band
Jazz Vocal Ensemble
Dr. Gordon Towell
Jazz Ensemble, Improvisation, Combo, Arranging, Composition
Jazz Workshop Band
Loyola hosts one of the oldest educational jazz festivals in the country. Each year in March a famous guest artist joins the Loyola Jazz Ensemble to share knowledge with and perform for student jazz musicians from all over North America.
Summer Jazz Camp
Loyola also has one of the oldest and finest summer jazz camps in New Orleans. This camp focuses on jazz improvisation from beginner to experienced and is taught by the Loyola jazz faculty. Some famous camp alumni are Wynton Marsalis, Branford Marsalis, Terence Blanchard, and Donald Harrison.
Loyola has state of the art recording facilities which are used by the jazz ensemble and combos.
For more information on our jazz studies program, please contact Gordon Towell at firstname.lastname@example.org