Creativity + Storytelling
The School of Communication and Design (SCD) will host the 2022 SCD Summer Experience, a week-long comprehensive boot camp that exposes high school students to careers in filmmaking, motion design, interactive design and writing. High school students from across the region are invited to register and learn from top-notch educators and industry experts about the endless professional opportunities. It’s a hands-on workshop designed to challenge and inspire high school students to explore a variety of methods and media, while engaging in a process that is collaborative, thought-provoking, and imaginative.
Questions? Email email@example.com
- Week 1: June 27, 2022-July 1, 2022
- Motion Design, Interactive Design, Film, and Writing
Students will choose an area of focus but will be exposed to all programs through out the week.
Discounts for Loyola Faculty/Staff: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are Loyola Faculty/Staff and have a teen who wants to participate.
Tuition paid after April 15, 2022
- No refunds after May 25, 2022
REGISTER here For SCD EXPERIENCE
A limited amount of need-based scholarships are available. To apply for a scholarship to SCD EXPERIENCE, complete the online form.
Scholarship deadline: April 15, 2022
Please direct all questions including scholarship opportunities to: email@example.com.
Camp takes place in Monroe Hall at Loyola University New Orleans.
Classes are held in new studio spaces complete with state of the art technology and equipment.
Students must be entering 9th-12th grade.
Lunch is not provided. Bring a bag lunch.
- This is a day camp only.
- 15 students max per experience. Sign up early to get your spot!
Who Should come to SCD Experience?
- Students eager to learn more about creative careers: no experience necessary just an open-mind
- Interested in learning on a college environment from college professors
- Beginners interested in developing skills and creativity through hands-on experiences
- Rising 9th-12th graders wanting to meet other creative students their age
- Students who are curious about the world around them and have ideas for how to make it better through visual and written communication
- The SCD Summer Experience is an inclusive space. Students from different races, ethnic groups, socioeconomic backgrounds, gender identities, schools, and geographical locations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Students can choose from five experiences:
1. Creative Writing Experience
Creative Writing explores the power of words by telling stories through poetry, essays, news articles, and speeches. We are happy to partner with the Pontchartrain (LA) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated whose members will lead creative writing activities.
2. Film Experience:
Students will collaborate with each other to write, plan, shoot and edit a short film.
3. Interactive Design Experience
Students will explore 3d printing, mobile and website design, physical computing, and game design.
4. Motion Design/ Animation Experience
Motion Design/Animation will explore will explore typography, photography, illustration, and narrative, in motion.
All participants will leave with an understanding of the links between their knowledge and skills and how they can apply those to help understand and create the world they live in.
Lina Lee is passionate about understanding people and their use of technology. She loves spending time with her family and friends, enjoys reading books, and loves shopping and traveling.
Daniela Marx is passionate about typography and the world of design. She also enjoys yoga, doodling and collecting 3-dimensional letters. On weekends you will see her hanging out with her family.
Matt Normand is a motion graphics designer and typographer. His passion is pairing these two subjects as they relate to movie titles, broadcast graphics, and animated logos. When not at school, Matt is working on mastering his After Effects & Cinema 4D chops.
Rob Racine focuses on the intersection of technology and art, especially in the areas of visual effects and sound design for cinema. He sings, composes, plays guitar and bass, and loves to cook.